OnlyKey Duo firmware loading

Hi!

Just got my OnlyKey Duo. Looks really nice, delivery was fast. So thanks for that.
However, I cannot get it to work. The OnlyKey App was not reacting to presses of “next” during setup. I use the newest version 5.3.5.

I tried installing the newest firmware but it tells me that the firmware is too old.

“Last message received: Error older firmware not supported”

Restarted the app and it now says: “Unlocked Bootloaderv2”. Now the app tells me I first need to put it into config mode. The text is clipped in the app but when pasting it here it is okay.(see below). Pressing 1 (or 2 or 3) for 10+ seconds did not help.

"Your OnlyKeyDUO is ready to use! Use the options below to change PINs or backup passhrase.

Before selecting an option below, you must first put your OnlyKeyDUO into config mode.

To do this hold down button #6 on your OnlyKey for 5+ seconds and release.hold down button #1 on your OnlyKey DUO for 10+ seconds and release.The light will turn off. If a PIN was previously set, re-enter the PIN to enter config mode.You will notice the OnlyKey flashes red in config mode."

What else can I do?

(Note that I have a couple of the older OnlyKeys. They all work fine.)

Thanks!

@Stevie The OnlyKey DUO will not allow loading older OnlyKey firmware, you must follow the steps here to load OnlyKey DUO firmware - OnlyKey DUO User's Guide | Docs

Config mode is only required after your device is setup to upgrade your firmware. Putting device in config mode is not needed if either your device is new and hasn’t gone through setup yet or if it is in bootloader mode (white LED).

Once you load the OnlyKey DUO firmware successfully you should be able to set up your device in the app. You mentioned having an issue not reacting to press of the “next” button, can you let me know if this happens again and what operating system you are using the app on?

Thanks for the fast answer. I did follow the User guide to load the firmware. What I missed is that the download link is a different one and the firmware for the Duo is not listed on that page. Downloading the firmware now worked. So I am settled.

I was able to reproduce the non reaction once or twice more. The Duo is not behaving as smooth as the OnlyKey Color (or whatever it is called). It needed several tries to get the pin in. It would not accept the next button. After a couple of times I have it setup now correctly.

I am on an M1 Mac with newest OS from last night.

To elaborate on the comment above a bit more: I see the following problems:

• After touching the hardware keys to enter the pin, you cannot enter the pin anymore using the app, you have to unplug. Might be as designed, just wanted to mentioned.
  • In several cases the slots are showing empty in the app although they are set and do react to the hardware keys. Adding a new slot will make the others visible again.
  • For the Google Authenticator the output often gives “NOTSET” even though the app is opened. I saw it working a couple of times but most of the time not. I never saw this problem with the earlier version.

After touching the hardware keys to enter the pin, you cannot enter the pin anymore using the app, you have to unplug. Might be as designed, just wanted to mentioned.

For this you should not have to remove device. When you enter an incorrect PIN with either the app or through touch you should see device flash red. After that you can try again with either the app or through touch.

In several cases the slots are showing empty in the app although they are set and do react to the hardware keys. Adding a new slot will make the others visible again.

I will try to reproduce this issue.

For the Google Authenticator the output often gives “NOTSET” even though the app is opened. I saw it working a couple of times but most of the time not. I never saw this problem with the earlier version.

I will try to reproduce this issue. Does this happen at any particular time, like after unlocking device after it was locked?

Okay, I can confirm that if you enter enough numbers until it flashes red that you can then enter the pin using the app. I was kind of assuming that using the app will reset the device so that the pin input starts again from empty. Maybe a suggestion for the future, if feasible.

For the issue with the empty slot, please let me know if I can help more.

For the issue with NOTSET, actually I cannot get it to work anymore. It always produces NOTSET. I tried resetting the slot but that did not help. Tried a different slot, did not help either.
The OnlyKey Color works fine, same app, same machine.

For the issue with NOTSET, actually I cannot get it to work anymore. It always produces NOTSET. I tried resetting the slot but that did not help. Tried a different slot, did not help either.
The OnlyKey Color works fine, same app, same machine.

I was able to reproduce this issue, it seems to only happen when OnlyKey DUO has a PIN set and the device is locked when the app is started. If for example you unlock OnlyKey then restart the app it will work. We will get this fixed in the next app release.

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this. I can confirm that it works fine, if I first unlock using the hardware keys. Incidentally this also seems to fix the issue with the slots showing as empty…