OnlyKey Initial Setup on Tails with Firmware Update

Hello.

I have encountered unexpected behaviour while going through the initial setup process of an OnlyKey on Tails with network access disabled. I have loaded up the app and right at the beginning you are given the option to update the firmware but it doesn’t actually update and then I get presented with a screen asking me to setup PIN codes using my keyboard, rather than on the OnlyKey itself. Does anyone know why this occurs? I was able to update the firmware using another Linux distro but I can recreate the issue in Tails…

Thanks

This is the setup page for the OnlyKey DUO, this is unexpected if you have a regular OnlyKey and not an OnlyKey DUO plugged in. Can you reproduce this issue again or was it a one time thing?

Yes, I can reproduce the issue. Would you like any further information?

Yes, can you provide some steps to reproduce this, I will then try to set up a Tails VM and test. We haven’t seen this issue before so will need to be able to reproduce to find out what the issue is.

Sure, I have detailed the steps to recreate the issue below. I hope it helps…

1. Install Tails 5.9 onto a USB stick
  2. Boot Tails from the USB stick and add an Administrator password
  3. Attempting to install OnlyKey App using apt install gives an error so I used dpkg instead…

1. Open OnlyKey App and insert OnlyKey
  2. Check the advanced setup options box
  3. Click the “Load Firmware” button and select file “Signed_OnlyKey_3_0_4_STD.txt”
  4. Click the “Next” button and the following screen appears…

1. Check the advanced setup options box again and click the “Next” button
  2. The OnlyKeyDUO screen appears…

1. I also tried from step 4 again but without checking the advanced setup options box and then this screen appears…

Hi. Were you able to recreate the issue?