Is this USB A ? Is very thin

The Only Key fits into my laptop USBA slot but it wobbles around as it is much thinner than the slot itself. Is this just how it is ?

I find it depends on the USB ports. Some seem to have more movement but others are quite secure.

I can’t say it’s something that I have found to affect the operation of the device. It does make PIN entry a little harder when the device is less sturdy though.

– bvs

Hi Betty

It’s just that I’ve never seen a USB A this thin. It is half the thickness of a normal USBA, I did try it on my old Dell and it was less wobbly but unfortunately on the Acer I now use, it moves a lot when you press the keys even with light touch. But as you stay it still functions. Just a bit bothersome.

Thanks
Michele

Hi Michele,

This is how all USBs are. I think possibly what you are thinking of is the outer casing that most USB sticks have including the metal surround over the contacts. This is missing for the OnlyKey (exposing the PCB), I assume purposefully, in order for the user to be able to inspect it for any signs of tampering.

– bvs

Hi Betty

Great. thanks for the explanation. I put a pen under it when I am tapping on it now which helps keep it stable.

Michele

OnlyKey offer these adapters if you have USB-C:

Maybe that would work better, or I often use a male/female USB-A adapter which means you can pick up the key when entering PIN which can be easier. These are inexpensive so you may be able to try it out.

– bvs

Thanks Betty Good to know.