Onlykey not detected in browser when setting up FIDO2 Security Key on ProtonMail

Hello all, new OnlyKey user here. After configuring my OnlyKey with the Linux app (set a PIN, passphrase, and a test account in one of the slots), I tried to use my OnlyKey in my browser as a security key in ProtonMail.

I’m using LibreWolf (most recent version). During the setup on ProtonMail’s website, I reach the point where a browser pop-up asks me to plug in my security key and touch it. I expect my OnlyKey to light up blue per the documentation, but it does not. Touching it does not enroll it as a security key after the fact.

Anybody else running into similar issues? As far as I can tell:

1. OnlyKey is FIDO2 Certified
  2. Proton supports FIDO2 security keys
  3. LibreWolf is based on Firefox, which now supports security keys (otherwise I wouldn’t see the popup)

So I don’t understand why it is not working as simply as the documentation says it will. I also tried https://webauthn.io/ to test the OnlyKey being detected, but get similar results.

Thanks for the help in advance!

I don’t know much about LibreWolf. Are you able to test on another computer and browser?

Hi t11,

Yes, I tested the webauthn test website in plain-jane Firefox and my OnlyKey lit up blue and worked as intended. This leads me to think it is a LibreWolf issue. I tried adjusting some settings in the about:config with no real luck.

I may have to move to hardened Firefox as my daily driver for sensitive activities that involve my OnlyKey, and just use LibreWolf for casual browsing.

Hell, I might end up on Brave again. I haven’t tested OnlyKey on Brave and I do have worries about it’s reliance on Chromium, but maybe things have changed in the past year for it.

I have used Brave with FIDO2 it works fine. Some custom browser like the LibreWolf one might not support FIDO2.

Update: was recently able to use fido2 on both Brave and LibreWolf in the past week. A recent update to the browser must have fixed it. In any case, I wanted to let everyone know so that these options are out there!