Only key DUO Advice

Hey,

I’m new here, i found Only keys through some users on Reddit. I’m interested in getting the Only key Duo, but i have a few questions.

• Does it fully work on: windows, Linux, Mac and android?
  • Are there no issues now in regards of having it as a hardware key for keepassxc?
  • Do residential ssh keys work out of the box, or do I need some additional software?

I probably wouldn’t use the hardware password manager or TOTP generation as i have all those in my keepassxc database.

My yubikey 5 has served me well, but the locked down firmware is killing it for me as i don’t have the ssh residential key feature, and prolly more features in the future meh…

I would probably get a single Only key DUO for now, and another one in the future as a backup

• Does it fully work on: windows, Linux, Mac and android?

Yes, you would need to configure device on a desktop OS but then you can use device on mobile here is a guide for mobile use - Using OnlyKey with Mobile Devices (iPhone and Android) | Docs

• Are there no issues now in regards of having it as a hardware key for keepassxc?

OnlyKey is fully supported by KeepassXC - OnlyKey DUO User's Guide | Docs

• Do residential ssh keys work out of the box, or do I need some additional software?

Out of the box, you would use OpenSSH as described here - OpenSSH | Docs

Just received the device today. Already got HMAC working for my keepass :smiley: But for android it isn’t working at all when i plug it directly to the phone. I had to use an adapter (from my macbook) to get it working which is pretty inconvenient, has anyone had something like this?

Which keepass app are you using on Android it may not support HMAC or it may be that the app only supports Yubikey. HMAC support on mobile is not very good on some of the apps.

I had to use an adapter (from my macbook) to get it working which is pretty inconvenient

You may want to consider OnlyKey DUO it has a USB-C connector

Yeah i’m using the OnlyKey DUO, when plugging in via usb C to the phone the key lights dont even turn on. They do turn on when i plug in via my adapter, and after providing a pin, the HMAC works good.

It’s just that it doesn’t work with USB C by itself alone :confused: any ideas?

I’m on latest firmware btw, v3.0.2-prodn afaik. And my mobile device is OnePlus 8 if that will help debug the issue

Does your DUO not work on any other USB-C devices? Maybe there is dust or something in the USB-C port.

When using USB-C from the DUO, it works on my:

I can test on a samsung S8 later this evening. But yeah generally the USB-C on phone is fine cause i can use the dell adapter, charge the phone etc

Works on Samsung s8… Doesn’t work on OnePlus 8 sadly. Could u look into it?

Is it possible that maybe the OnePlus has a case on that prevents the DUO from plugging in all the way? If the device lights up on a Samsung phone but not on Oneplus it has to be something with the physical connection or maybe a setting on the phone to enable USB devices.

Yeah i tried taking off the case. Enabling/disabling debugging USB stuff and nothing helps sadly :pensive: maybe it’s just a OnePlus issue dunno. But do far so good - i managed to import my yubicokey hmac secret and it works for KeePass :wink:. Maybe I’ll switch to a Samsung/apple device in the near future and hopefully it will work

@t11 I’ve ordered a cheap tiny USB OTG adapter for less than 1$ and it’s working with my phone easily now

1 Like