Hardware : physical buttons?

Hello,
Has someone find, or could we imagine, a more “rigid / solid” hardware enclose as the actual USB-stick ?
Thinking at a small case with real buttons (and not the “touch” areas that seems do make fold the USB-stick if one push too hard on the contact area (because big fingers for example…))
I could dream of a hardware case with an USB-cable, and “real” buttons ?
Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

You could to buy a design in 3D case

Is there something like that (other than the " Color Protective Case" that we already have) ?

If you have a 3D printer you can try a plastic case:

Probably can design in metal or other desing if you know do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

i printed a couple of those cases from thingiverse with petg.
been working great for more than 6 months no wear or tear.
i do only wear on chain around neck so not much wear to begin with

In fact, we need a “maker” that could combine the “only-key” as it is, but hack the small “buttons” inside a case with a real keyboard outside, something like at the left
or, lets dream limitless…, inside a raspberry pi with a small touch screen at right ? :slight_smile:

So The “Only-Key” functionality and security kept untouched, but the user-interface got more attractive

do not block on the logo of microsoft, a 3D version would of course be better :slight_smile:
2021-01-08_00-06-41
(Source : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97667.0)

Ideas also here
2021-01-08_00-34-06
(Source : Stream Cheap (Mini Macro Keyboard) by DaveM - Thingiverse)
and there for electronics and software on 5V Arduino Pro Micro
(Source : Building a DIY Stream Deck (Mini Macro Keyboard) - Parts Not Included)

1 Like

@PasTiGIN We have some details on custom projects from users here - https://www.instagram.com/onlykey.io/

Someone did make a design with physical buttons. However, physical buttons are not more “rigid / solid” its a physical part that can wear out or break while capacitive touch buttons do not.

1 Like

@t11 Yes, this is what I read everywhere when I google “how to replace the capacitive button with a mechanical button”: capacitive buttons have many advantages and are preferred by engineers. And it is clear that the only key could not be so thin and small with physical buttons. But I don’t know why, but I managed to “break” 2 buttons :frowning: They don’t work anymore. Maybe I pushed too hard instead of just touching them? I also find that the assembly of the only dongle on a usb stick the expansion port is not ideal: i need both hands to use it: one to hold the usb extension and / or the only key, and the other for " touching “the buttons. is looking for a way to” graft "mechanical buttons onto the single key: to retain the advantages of the on-board software and the protection offered by the device, while having an interface that is easier to handle, for example by a row of mechanical buttons at the foot of my monitor. The only article I have found talks about soldering a wire to the capacitive key, and grounding it to “turn it on”, but other articles seem to say that this is not that simple to simulate the capacitive action of a finger.

@PasTiGIN We haven’t had any cases of managing to break the buttons so that would be a first. Does the LED change at all when touching these broken buttons? For how to easily access OnlyKey on a workstation this works well for most people - Aluminum Alloy Clip-On USB Hub for for Monitor or Desk – OnlyKey

OnlyKey uses the analog data read when you touch the capacitive button to generate true random number, which is very important in security keys, so a physical keyboard may not be a good substitute. Check here for this.

1 Like

It uses multiple sources of entropy including temperature, touch readings, analog readings. Physical buttons would decrease the amount of entropy but not to a great extent as there is still some and there are still the other sources being constantly read in.

OK, that’s indeed a important argument for the capacitive buttons !
Will give it a new try.